Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rep. Gary Ackerman will not seek reelection

From: The Hill's Ballot Box

Rep. Gary Ackerman will not run for reelection to the House in 2012, his office announced Thursday.
The New York Democrat will retire after 15 terms in Congress.

“The residents of Queens and Long Island have honored me with their trust and support for the past 34 years, first as a New York State Senator, and for the past 15 terms as a Member of Congress,” Ackerman said in a statement.

"During my years in Congress, it has been my pleasure to address the needs of thousands of individual constituents and to influence domestic and global policy while serving on the Financial and Foreign Affairs Committees in the House. I am most thankful for the opportunity I’ve had to serve my country and my community."

In February, Ackerman denied rumors that he was considering giving up his House seat.

"Republican rumor mill is 100%, Absulutely Wrong. I'm running," he tweeted on February 12.

There was a chance that Ackerman would have been pitted against fellow Democrat Carolyn McCarthy by redistricting, but the tentative map in New York instead eliminates Republican Rep. Bob Turner's district.

Ackerman represents New York's 5th Congressional District, which consists of parts of New York City and several towns on Long Island.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

wibiya widget